Employees State Insurance Corporation (“ESIC”) has issued guidelines through an Office Letter dated November 10th, 2023 bearing No.: U-16015/18/2023-Med-I (488707) for developing in-house haemodialysis facilities under the Pradhan Mantri National Dialysis Programme (PMNDP) in ESIC hospitals for providing better care and integrated service delivery for critical patients and overall beneficiary satisfaction. The key recommendations for the development of in-house dialysis are as follows:
- Each hospital must identify the total number of patients who have registered for dialysis services and work out the total number of dialysis machines required basis patient load.
- The Broad Specialty department shall initiate the process of an in-house dialysis unit and post doctors/residents as per the needs.
- Standard guidelines for setting up of Haemodialysis unit are to be followed.
- While a nephrologist is recommended for hospitals with up to 200 beds, for hospitals with more than 200 beds, it is mandatory to have their own nephrologist and development of in-house dialysis services.
- The minimum staff pattern for a proposed dialysis unit includes nephrologist, dialysis doctors, dialysis technicians, dialysis nurses, dialysis attendants, medical social worker, dietician and sweepers. The staff shall bear the prescribed training and undertake the job responsibilities, auditing and updating as required, from time to time.